Monday, June 24, 2013

Randomness

The Eye of London at night. The building to the right of the eye was lit up with pink and purple just before I took the photo then turned blue so the whole other side of the river was blue. It was very pretty.

I have been thinking a lot recently about technology and how I've communicated with my family in the past 4 weeks. Email, Facebook, Skype, Facetime, and all of it free if you have internet connection. Also I have a British 'mobile' phone and I can call them on that. It isn't cheap mind you but I can and it is easy (once you learn the country's international dialing code). In years past, and not to long ago, the only way to communicate over seas was either a long-distance phone call or a letter one posted which ended up becoming 'air mail.' I used to remember getting air mail as a kid, ok well I never got any as a kid, but once in a while one would come in for my parents and it was always in a funny envelope and it was so cool. I used to keep the envelope after they were done with it and pretend I got air mail. I never really thought that one day I would be the one sending home the letters from another country. I sent a few postcards recently from the UK and the continent and now they just have a little sticker that says priority in about three languages (depending on the country you are mailing it from) and it goes on the letter or post card and off it goes. Definitely not as special as it used to be. However with the lost of air mail being so special comes the convenience of being able to not only talk to people at home but also to see them if you Skype or Facetime. In one day I talked to my sister twice on facetime, sent her a message on facebook and texted her repeatedly. No need to be homesick at all these days.





2 comments:

  1. Very interesting, Rebekah, to 'see' communicating overseas from an American's view! I grew up with 'Aerogrammes' ....for international letter writing. One bought them at the Post Office with the stamp already in place ...no envelope as such, it was all one piece of paper. One could write the news, fold and seal it and pop it in the 'post.! I was sorry when the USPS stopped making them...probably came with the popularity of email!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those mailer things. We had them in the states and I used them domestically when I was really young. Just one piece of paper with designated creases and you'd write on the inside and then fold it over on itself and seal it. I only remember using them a few times as a kid before they "went out of style." They were fun though. And usually they weren't very big so you didn't have to feel obligated to write a novel to someone. We should resurrect them as retro is in these days. We could make a fortune!

    ReplyDelete