Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My Week In Review

Today marks a week ago that I returned to Ireland. It hasn't been particularly busy. In the past week I have: (in no particular order)

Celebrated American Independence Day
Had coffee with Eva at a new coffee shop
Attended a poetry reading
Gone to a Sky In The Ground
Gone to church
Taken the dog for a couple walks
Watched a show about a midwife
Walked to town and back
Gone shopping in town
Walked the Quays once or twice
Had coffee in the garden
...and a few other things.

It sounds like a lot when you list it all up like that but none of those things are particularly adventurous and when you spread them out over the course of 7 days it leaves a lot of time for sleeping in. I haven't been sleeping very well or feeling especially well this week so the time to just chill and rest and sleep in has been greatly appreciated. The weather has been incredible this week as well. I watered the garden last night because we hadn't had rain since I got here. It's beautiful. If you were to be in the sun and working hard you'd probably work up a sweat but there is also a cool breeze and if you step into the shade you probably need a jumper (sweatshirt)...well I do. The Irish don't seem to mind it. But it's been wonderful.

Here are some random photos taken over the past week.
(again in no particular order)






Here is a bridge in Wexford Town. I'm not sure why it has American and Irish flags on it, but I'm not questioning why. I'm just enjoying it.




















The boats by the Quay. Always a good photo.












While walking up the street the angles and perspective in this
view just tickled my fancy. I don't think the photo captures
how this really felt but its as good as it gets.












Here is Eva reading the newspaper in the coffee shop. I guess my company wasn't informing enough for her.















Here is a statue of John Barry. Born March 25, 1745 in Wexford Ireland and died September 13, 1803 in the USA. He was an officer in the Continental Navy during the American Revolutionary War and later in the United States Navy. He is widely credited as "The Father of the American Navy" (and sometimes sharing that moniker with John Paul Jones) and was appointed a Captain in the Continental Navy on December 7, 1775. He was the first Captain placed in command of a US warship commissioned for service under the Continental flag.
After the war, he became America's first commissioned naval officer, at the rank of Commodore, receiving his commission from President George Washington in 1797. I piece of American history I missed in school.
 
 
 
 
A picture of a lily in Eva's garden (back yard).
 
 
 
 
 
I think this photo speaks for itself.




FYI: 21 degrees Celsius (69 degrees Fahrenheit) is considered a heat wave in Ireland. I call it perfect.

4 comments:

  1. I wrote a comment here and it deleted itself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eva reading the newspaper while in the coffee shop with you reminds me of you talking on your cell phone while traveling in the car with me. ;-)

    No rain there since you arrived? Pretty much nothing but rain here since you left. lol Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha the sunshine follows me...except in Wales.

    Also, you wouldn't have been upset that I was on the phone if you hadn't been freaking out about driving ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. More like the times you come visit me and spend all the time on Facebook ;-)

    ReplyDelete