Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day

 
This morning it hit me. More than I expected it to. I'm not prone to homesickness. I can't remember being homesick in over a decade. Even when I was nine years old at summer camp I wasn't bothered by being away from home and family. But today, my first July 4th abroad was a wee bit emotional. I can sometimes be sentimental but it usually isn't over a holiday. I've worked more July 4th's than I have celebrated with my family but usually when I'm working I'm on duty and the ambulance or firetruck either rolls in the parade or we are standing by and get to enjoy the festivities. And even if I can't make it out to watch fireworks (which is my favorite part of the holiday) I can watch them on TV with my Dad. Not the same but I'm with my dad so its all good.


Today, after being with a comrade from my home state for 4 days, who lived a town over from where I used to live, I'm missing home. I've traveled through 6 countries in as many weeks and I've come to realize how great my homeland is. I do know that we have flaws and the politics in my country almost never goes the way I think it should. We have laws I don't agree with, media that tells the populous what to think, we are ever so sneakily losing our rights and yet...we are still currently so blessed in America. We can hold church anywhere and any time we want. Our laws still aren't as restricting as most of the world. We have so much diversity in our one country compared to other countries its kind of crazy.
I love all the countries I've seen. I could see myself living in any one of them for a time. Each of them have so many qualities that are new and different to what I have back home in the good ol' USA but in traveling around I have realized that we have so many privileges that we take for granted every day. I am so thankful for the honor to be able to call myself an American and proud of my heritage.


This morning my Irish friend Eva brought me coffee and a scone and said "Happy Birthday America!" It was coffee I had brought from the states and she even put half & half in it (which they don't do over here. It's an American thing). Then she said she thought we might have Chinese food for supper in celebration of our 4th of July. It was really good.

I Facetimed my family back home this afternoon and they were making the usual summer food for a cookout. We caught up on family news and whatnot. We talked about parades and fireworks. Again I am accustomed to being away from my family for the holiday but what I'm not used to is being the only American on July 4th. It was something I'd never experienced before. Definitely another first on this trip.
This afternoon I was surrounded by some amazing Irish folk who were very supportive and wished me a happy 4th several times. The twinge of homesickness went away as I realized once again how blessed I am to be able to be an American and also be in the presence of God's people around the world. The past couple weeks I have been blessed to be with Christian brethren (and sisteren) in Europe and the UK and although we are all different nationalities we are one in the Spirit and the love that binds in the spirit is greater than any earthly designation.


 
Shout out to those serving or who have served in our armed forces. To those in PD, FD and EMS who are ever ready, thank you for your sacrifice.

 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Rebekah....I can understand your feeling homesick today.....I can empathize. Love to all the folk there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pass on your regards.
    It was just strange not usually feeling homesick. But it was a good day and I had fun and the homesickness only lasted a little bit. I bet you can empathize having probably had more than one moment of longing for home after leaving family and country to start a new life in the states. I'm glad you did. For without it I wouldn't have you or Rachel in my life.

    ReplyDelete